- Stand upright with your feet shoulder width apart
- Place one hand on your buttocks for support
- Look up and slowly lean backwards
- Reach over with your opposite hand
- Rotate your upper body at the waist
Primary muscles: External and internal obliques. Transversus abdominis. Rectus abdominis.
Secondary muscles: Quadatus lumborum. Psoas major and minor. Iliacus.
Injury where stretch may be useful: Abdominal muscle strain. Hip flexor strain. Iliopsoas tendonitis.
Note: Avoid this stretch if you suffer from lower back pain or if you have sustained an injury to the lower back. When performing this stretch for the first time, use caution and rest between each repetition.
Share this post